Located in the neck, just beneath the Adam’s apple, sits a butterfly-shaped organ called the thyroid gland. The hormones produced by the thyroid affect nearly every tissue in the body and orchestrate the body’s overall metabolism.

Thyroid hormones activate over 100 enzymes and have an impact on energy production and use, protein synthesis, carbohydrate, protein, and fat metabolism, and growth of long bones. Maintaining normal thyroid function helps maintain a robust energy level, a healthy immune system, a desirable body weight, normal gastrointestinal motility, healthy hair and skin, a positive mood and outlook, and normal body temperature. The thyroid gland’s activity truly affects us from head to toe.

According to the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, it is estimated that 27 million Americans have a thyroid disease, and about half of them are undiagnosed. Decades of data show that disease is on the rise, including thyroid-related diseases and cancer.

Signs and symptoms your thyroid isn’t functioning properly include:

  • Nervousness
  • Depression
  • Menstrual changes
  • Mental fogginess and poor concentration
  • Feeling bloated
  • Racing heartbeat
  • Aches and pains
  • Heat intolerance or constantly feeling cold
  • Dry skin
  • Hair loss
  • Change in bowel habits
  • Sleeping too much or too little
  • Loss of interest in intimacy
  • High cholesterol levels
  • Weight gain or excessive weight loss (even if you’re eating more)

A number of dietary and environmental factors can influence thyroid hormone production and function. For instance, compounds such as goitrogens (if not inactivated by cooking), fluorine, and chlorine can interfere with thyroid function. Still, scientists believe roughly 70% of of the risk for developing thyroid problems is genetic. The other 30% can be triggered by infections, stress, iodine intake, smoking, taking certain medications, like amiodarone, living in certain geographical locations. At this time, more research is needed to understand these triggers.

Sufficient nutrient intake is crucial as a host of nutrients are needed to support not only the production of thyroid hormones but the health and function of the thyroid gland itself. Your thyroid depends on iodine, B vitamins, selenium, zinc, tyrosine, vitamin D, and more to function well.

Nutrients Your Thyroid Needs to Stay at Peak Function The thyroid gland uses iodine from food and supplements to make the hormone thyroxine (T4), which is converted to the more potent, bioactive form called triiodothyronine (T3). Thyroid function works in concert with the pituitary gland, adrenals, parathyroid, and sex glands, all of which work together to maintain hormonal balance in the body. For example, the pituitary gland produces TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), which helps regulate thyroxine hormone production. The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis and the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) axis serve as avenues of communication for these crucially important glands.

Opti-Thyroid Part of our Dr. Brimhall line, the ingredients in this formula have stood the test of time with their efficacy. Opti-Thyroid provides whole food micronutrients that are essential for the production of thyroid hormones, providing a foundation that best supports the thyroid gland. It is the ONLY predigested formula including both glandulars and whole food ingredients. The predigestion process sets this formula above the rest because it guarantees delivery at the cellular level and up to 300% better nutrient absorption.

Opti-Thyroid™ provides tyrosine, iodine, and selenium, micronutrients that are essential for the production of T4 and its conversion to T3. B vitamins from a whole food cultured media blend are present to support energy production, while vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta-carotene provide support for antioxidant activity and tissue protection. Chelated minerals, choline, betaine hydrochloride (HCI), and glutamic acid provide further support for metabolic functions. Glandular support comes from an Argentinian bovine source and are predigested to ensure safety and purity.

Please note: with exception to the product photo, we do not own rights to any other images used in this post.